I like the idea of a daily yoga challenge. The problem is, I don’t actually like doing them because it’s an easy way to bullshit myself.
When I couldn’t make it to the studio, I’d simply unroll my mat for about 20 minutes of yoga. Or do a few asanas in the kitchen while waiting for my bread to toast. Or once I sat for 30 seconds and did pranayama which counts, damn it! Mindful breathing IS yoga. Ask anyone!
All of this bullshitting has convinced me that a 21-Day Yoga Challenge isn’t for me. I did however feel drawn to a “Go To The Studio 3-Days A Week, Yoga Challenge” so I started one this week. Visiting a studio thrice weekly for 60, 75 or 90 minutes of yoga is good for a variety of reasons:
- I’ll have to push myself, try new poses, and be creative with props.
- It forces me to use my weak arm and hand in ways that I can’t replicate with other forms of exercise.
- When my negative inner critic gets bitchy and I get frustrated, I will be forced to keep my cussing to a whispered, minimum.
- I get to run into cool yoga studio people that inspire me and make me feel good about myself.
- This set up doesn’t stop me from doing yoga daily on off days at home. Nor will it get it the way of all the others forms of wellness, health, and exercise I’m supposed to do for this disease.
- I can set up my schedule to take the classes that I want and / or need instead of taking whatever fits into my day.
- Most importantly, I can steal ideas from other teachers to use when I teach. 🙂
As of yesterday I performed almost 4 hours of yoga via three different classes, which was wonderful. Since I have no vacation plans coming up in the near or even distant future, I’m confident that I can do this week after week without much difficulty for the next 3 months which is officially my goal for this personal challenge.
If you want in on this let me know. Whether it’s CrossFit or Feldenkrais (and everything in between), if there’s something you want to do at least three days a week for your health and wellness, feel free to join in on the no-bullshitting yourself fun.